We have all come across mould in the home, particularly in the kitchen and bathroom, but where does it come from?
Moulds are fungi - their spores are always present in the air and easily find their way inside buildings. To survive they need moisture, oxygen and humidity and in these conditions will grow quickly.
Mould is particularly associated with condensation, which provides the perfect environment for the moulds to grow quickly. They will spread on damp surfaces such as plaster and timber, but will also affect furnishings and decorations.
Many of us will tolerate the damp caused by condensation, but we are more concerned when this develops mould which looks unsightly and can cause damage to decorations and furnishings. Although not all moulds are toxic, there is some risk to health as mould spores can generate allergic reactions and impact on the respiratory and general health of the occupants.
Treating Black Mould
Start by reducing the condensation in your home:
- Fit extractor fans (preferably humidity controlled).
- Check washing machines/tumble dryers are vented correctly.
- Check air bricks/grilles are not blocked.
- Increase ventilation when cooking, bathing etc – open window and shut door.
- Avoid vinyl paints and wallpapers.
Surfaces affected by black mould can be treated by the use of a fungicidal cleaner and surface biocide to remove mould from masonry, tiles, wood and painted surfaces.
Decorate using Antimould Emulsion paint to walls and ceilings and Antimould undercoat and Gloss to woodwork. Ensure the Antimould coating is the final finish.
Surface treatments and preventative coatings are all available from our on-line shop
and delivered to your door.
Our life-style is often the cause of condensation which leads to black mould, but it can be caused or increased by an underlying problem. To be sure of the right action to take, contact J & M Remedial Services for a comprehensive, professional survey or complete our on-line questionnaire for further advice.