We have all come across mould in the home, particularly in the kitchen and bathroom, but where does it come from?
Moulds are fungi - their spores are always present in the air and easily find their way inside buildings. To survive they need moisture, oxygen and humidity and in these conditions will grow quickly.
Mould is particularly associated with condensation, which provides the perfect environment for the moulds to grow quickly. They will spread on damp surfaces such as plaster and timber, but will also affect furnishings and decorations.
Many of us will tolerate the damp caused by condensation, but we are more concerned when this develops mould which looks unsightly and can cause damage to decorations and furnishings. Although not all moulds are toxic, there is some risk to health as mould spores can generate allergic reactions and impact on the respiratory and general health of the occupants.