Common Insect Infestation
Common Furniture Beetle:
• Attacks hardwood and softwood.
• Signs of attack are short tunnels running along the grain of wood, with round exit holes. Bore dust gritty.
• Larva feeds on wood for 3 yrs+.
• Adults emerge between May and August.
Death Watch Beetle:
• Attacks partly decayed hardwood, eg oak.
• Tunnels towards the centre of the timber, therefore the damage is often more extensive that it initially appears.
• Round exit holes round with pellets visible in bore dust.
• Adults emerge between March and June.
Wood Boring Weevi:
• Attacks decaying wood, therefore the wood should be replaced as a priority to treatment.
• Tunnels run along the grain of the wood.
• Ragged exit holes, coarse bore dust.
• Both adults and larvae attack wood.